While the issues of police brutality, misconduct, and racism are nationwide and systemic, we want to highlight the urgency of these kinds of problems locally by providing a list of some incidents of Troy Police Department’s recent history that have been covered in the media.
- The Troy Police Reform and Reinvention Collaborative Report is lambasted by the public for not being reflective of community concerns. It suggests the hiring of six more officers. “I totally reject this report. The community input was not listened to,” Jerry Ford, a member of the Troy Coalition of Black Leaders. 
- Detective Sgt. Anthony Conyers is the first black person to ever reach command rank in the Troy Police Department. 
- After waiting six months The City of Troy announces the makeup of their Reform and Reinvention Collaborative in January with first meetings in February. Their final report is due in April. 
- Troy Police request that the Police Objective Review Committee (PORC), which had been established in 1997 but was never sufficiently staffed or funded, be renamed to the Police Objective Review Board (PORB). 
- Video obtained by WNYT shows Troy police bringing a dog over to bite a man they have on the ground. 
- In August an Internal investigation finds that Randall French lied about his life being in danger when he fatally shot Edson Thevenin during a traffic stop in 2016. 
- In March, Randall French is put at the top of the promotion list 
- A Troy police officer resigns after attacking a man at a little league game. The officer in question had already cost the city almost $200,000 in settlements due to prior violence. The officer was caught on video saying ““You should have went to Troy, man. It’s a lot easier. You don’t have to deal with this —expletive. You’d be slapping people around telling them to – expletive – and go play over there.”   
- Troy police shoot an unarmed Dahmeek McDonald in the face. The city settle for $33,000.  
- Two Troy detective plead guilty to forging incident reports to conceal illegal warrantless home entry. One of them is indicted for four other felonies and six misdemeanors including bribery. 
- Troy police kill Edson Thevenin, lie about it, and keep the detailed report secret. The city settles for 1.55 million. [1} 
- An HVCC student is punched and Tasered for jaywalking. The city settles for $60,000.  
- An officer is suspended after beating a suspect bloody in a holding cell.(Don’t worry, he is still employed by Troy PD)  
- A police dog bites a random bystander after being allowed off leash by it’s officer. This is the third time this particular dog has bitten a non-suspect. 
- A Troy police officer beat a man at his front door, seemingly over a Facebook argument they’d had. This results in the city paying a $60,000 settlement.  
- While arresting a man in St.Mary’s ER several police hit, taser, and pepper sprayed him. They would later be found guilty of excessive force, the case ends in a $39,000 settlement.
- A man is beaten by a group of Troy cops for pretending to record them while beating late local rapper Shakim Miller, and receives a $90,000 settlement from city.